Equity and Inclusion
Black Lives Matter
Everyone in Colorado deserves the opportunity to experience quality environmental and outdoor learning. Black individuals and communities have a right to live, work, learn and play in the outdoors without racism. The tragic deaths of George Floyd and Black Americans profoundly impact our learners, audiences, and colleagues. We have a responsibility to continue working to change the systems that continue to allow injustice and inequity to exist. At the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education, we believe that we are much stronger together than we are individually, and we are committed to learning and working with you to continue working towards a just, equitable world where everyone has the opportunity to learn about the environment where they live.
Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education Inclusiveness Statement
The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) works to ensure that everyone in Colorado has the opportunity to learn about the environment and experience quality environmental education.
Recognizing the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education; CAEE, including our staff, leadership, membership, and audiences, commits to:
- Integrating the ideals of multiculturism, equity, justice, and sustainability;
- Acting as allies for those whose voices are not being heard; and
- Promoting equal access to environmental education.
CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
The initiative has also created these goals for environmental education in Colorado:
- Increase the awareness of the value of diversity and inclusiveness in the environmental education field.
- Increase inclusiveness skills among environmental educators.
- Increase the diversity of environmental educators.
- Increase access to environmental education.