Fall Environmental Education Intern
Environmental Education Intern Duties
- Teach the following topics to school age groups: plant life cycles, planting and garden care, insects, pollination, beekeeping, composting, harvesting, healthy eating, community, cycles and much more!
- Lead Field Trips and Classroom Visits in the Children’s Peace Garden independently and with a co-teacher, with support and feedback from the Education staff.
- Attend intern trainings as assigned throughout the internship.
- Act as a responsible, positive role model for all youth participants.
- Assist Education staff with administration tasks.
- Glean on a rotating basis at the Boulder County Farmers Market on Wednesday evenings.
Event Participation and Community Outreach
Environmental Education Interns will assist with marketing for programming and will educate and engage with community members during community outreach events.
Knowledge and Skills the Intern Will Develop:
- Teaching in a farm-based setting including effective teaching techniques, group management strategies, and age-appropriate teaching/learning.
- Strong background knowledge in the following topics: plant life cycles, planting and garden care, insects, pollination, beekeeping, composting, harvesting, healthy eating, community, and life cycles.
- Effective communication strategies.
- Working effectively in a dynamic team environment.
- Evaluating programs through formal processes.
- Intern will receive training on Advocacy vs. Inquiry, Ages & Stages, Love and Logic, Whole Brain Teaching, Cultivating Community, Giving and Receiving feedback and so much more!
Structure of Internship
- Internship duration is August 15th – October 27th, 2023.
- Intern will attend the internship orientation meeting.
- Intern position is 15 hours per week. Note: hours may vary between weeks and evening work may be required. The most effective schedule for both intern and Growing Gardens is any 3 days per week, Tuesday – Friday, approximately 5 hours per day, variable based on program schedule.
- Each Intern is supported by a Mentor and Supervisor.
- Mentor oversees daily activities and supports each Intern’s growth throughout the duration of the contract.
- Supervisor is available upon request for check-ins and meetings and provides general oversight of Growing Gardens’ internship program.
- $300 paid upon completion of the internship and qualifies for credit at the university level.
Benefits of Interning with Growing Gardens:
- Your own weekly share ($20-$35 value) of fresh seasonal vegetables. each week from the garden June-October as the season permits.
- Experience working on a diversified vegetable farm.
- Hands-on experience making a positive impact in the lives of children, teens, and adults.
- Community connections and networking within the burgeoning local food movement.
- Friendly environment with a committed, passionate community.
- Develop marketable leadership and management skills.
- Access to in-person and online courses taught by Growing Gardens staff.
- 50% off all produce at the farmstand (June - October)
- All Growing Gardens internships qualify for University credit if desired.
- Office is centrally located and easily accessed via public transportation.
Growing Gardens is seeking individuals who are excited to gain skills and experience teaching and learning in a community of motivated garden-based educators!
A successful applicant will demonstrate:
- Prior experience teaching youth.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to serve as a mature, healthy role model for youth.
- Self-motivated team player with ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently independent of supervision.
- Responsibility, reliability and organizational skills.
- Interest in developing skills and knowledge in garden-based education. No prior gardening or farming experience required.
- Applicants must hold current certifications in CPR and First Aid or willingness to attain them by August 15, 2023.
- The intern position is contingent upon satisfactory results of a background check.