Outdoor Recreation Guide in Training
Mountain Recreation Outdoor Programs offer a fun, exciting environment to our participants and staff alike; one that fosters opportunities for expanding our outdoor knowledge, learning new skills, and enjoying the outdoors! Applicants must be enthusiastic and love working outdoors with children, enjoy being part of a team-focused environment, and have strong communication and group management skills.
We're looking for talented individuals to help support our Outdoor Recreation department and it’s various programs including: camping, mountain biking, rock climbing, paddle sports, hiking, fly-fishing, and backpacking for the 2022 summer season. Ideal candidates for this position have a desire to one day be a Guide or program leader. In this role they will work as a part of the Outdoor Recreation Programs Team to facilitate recreation programs in an assigned area, providing high quality recreation opportunities for the community in partnership with SOS Outreach.
Schedule: Seasonal: Late May – Mid-August; Part-Time Hourly
Salary: $14.06 - 17.00/hour; DOE
Benefits include: 3.75% contribution to 401a account, and accrued sick leave according to the HFWA. Every employee receives a membership to all Mountain Recreation facilities. For more information on benefits, check out our website at https://mountainrec.org/benefits-overview/
Location: Eagle County, Colorado
Reports To: Works under the general guidance and direction of the Mountain Recreation Outdoor Recreation Supervisor.
Supervision Exercised: May directly campers during programming times.
Work Environment: Works indoors and outdoors. Work hours will vary, including evening hours, weekends, and holidays. Hours will be flexible to successfully accomplish the duties of the position. Duties may be performed either indoors or outdoors, which may include working in extreme weather conditions. The flow of work and character of duties involve normal mental and visual attention much or all the time. Physical exertion includes frequent walking, bending and the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds unassisted, pushing, pulling, and kneeling to deliver equipment and supplies. Nature of the position is physically demanding and stressful, requiring constant safety awareness and attending to a wide variety of participant needs with periods of continuous demand.
General Statement of Duties: Assist other program staff to facilitate and implement recreation programs in assigned area, providing high quality recreation opportunities for the community in partnership with SOS Outreach.
Examples of Duties:
- Shadow and learn from program leads/instructor staff in camp programs
- Assist with program instruction in assigned outdoor recreation programs and activities
- Help implement curriculum based upon program specialty, objectives, and guidelines.
- Support overseeing the safety, comfort, and progress of participants in various activities.
- Communicate with other program staff regarding facility, equipment, and supply needs.
- Provide for the safety of fellow staff and participants while providing experiences in outdoor based sports and activities such as: camping, rock climbing, paddle sports, mountain biking, hiking, and backpacking.
- Provide exemplary customer service to internal and external guests
- Assist with implementing new programs and services that are consistent with District and SOS Outreach mission and goals and meet community needs and interests.
- Support implementing risk management practices.
- Work with other organizations not limited to: Recreation Departments, School Districts, Towns, Counties, Special Districts, Non-Profits, and Sport Associations.
- Set up, take down, clean-up after programs as required.
- Help respond to accidents and incidents according to procedures.
Other Duties & Functions:
- Acts as a mandatory reporter and complies with mandatory reporting guidelines.
- Maintains and cares for program facilities, equipment, and supplies.
- Instructs various recreational classes as needed or directed by Mountain Recreation and in partnership with SOS Outreach.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required
- Other duties as assigned
Considerable knowledge of:
- Child development and age-appropriate activities
- A desire to make a positive difference in the community
- Ability to work as a team player
Skills and Abilities:
- Have a positive attitude and good sense of humor and strong communication skills
- Customer service skills
- Comfort and passion in working with youth outdoors
- Establish and maintain positive, respectful, and cooperative relationships with all program contacts
- Lift, restrain, and run after participants
- Lift equipment and supplies
- Work cooperatively with others and create positive relationships with other staff and the public
Education and Experience:
- Must be 15 years or older AND
- High school graduation or equivalency, or currently attending high school; AND
- Previous experience working or volunteering with children/youth; OR
- Any satisfactory combination of experience and education which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the above-described duties.
- Current First Aid and CPR, or the ability to obtain these certifications prior to beginning employment.