Seasonal Camp Instructor
Title: Camp Instructor (Male)
FLSA Status: Seasonal, full-time, exempt
Reports to: Camp Manager
Location: Brighton, CO with limited travel throughout Colorado
Salary: $13.65/hour along with lodging and some meals
Duration: May 30 – August 4, 2023
Purpose: The Camp Instructor supports and assists the Camp Manager in all aspects of summer programs.
About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of science, education and stewardship. Our work extends from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond. Our mission is advanced through sound science, achieved through empowering people, realized through stewardship and sustained through cross-border collaborations. We acknowledge that a long history of deep-seated discrimination has influenced who has access to and feels comfortable in the outdoors and in the conservation movement. We recognize that this is reflected in the current limited diversity within our organization. Though long overdue, we are now committed to be an organization that empowers people of all backgrounds, beliefs, colors and creeds to join in, benefit from and contribute to our mission. We believe that being inclusive and equitable is essential to our work. We encourage feedback and suggestions as we navigate our collaborative path forward. Together, we are improving native bird populations, the land, and the lives of people.
Learn more about our work and programs at our website: www.birdconservancy.org
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the instruction and well-being of Day and Overnight Campers & Leaders in Training
- Live in a shared space with campers and staff during overnight camps
- Provide supervision to all campers during hikes, field trips and other camp activities, while abiding by all of Bird Conservancy’s Summer Camp Policies.
- Teaching lessons on natural history, ornithology, science, research, conservation, field journaling, team building, and nature awareness/appreciation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications (unless otherwise noted):
- Ability to lead environmental science, leadership, and/or outdoor adventure programs for diverse audiences in formal and non-formal outdoor and classroom settings.
- Responsible, creative, enthusiastic, flexible, and dedicated to providing a safe and age-appropriate learning environment.
- Effective communication and customer service skills, including public speaking and communication with parents, guardians and participants.
- Knowledge and experience regarding bird identification and natural history preferred.
- Must be a college student or graduate (preferred), who is working toward or has a degree in Education, Environmental Studies, Biological Sciences, Natural Resource Management, or related field, with an interest in ornithology.
- Strong organizational and logistical skills, and able to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Prior experience in day and/or overnight camp settings.
- Able to clear state and federal background checks.
- Demonstrated experience with safely transporting children in 15-passenger and other rental vehicles (if 25+ years old).
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications (WFA or WFR Preferred).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage members of the BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other underrepresented communities to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative either proof of full vaccination at employment start date or agree in written form to weekly testing until further notice. Any proof of vaccination or weekly test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential.
Please send a cover letter and resume with three professional references in one document to [email protected] with the subject line Camp Instructor.
Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2023. We will review applications on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Nothing in this job description shall create or is intended to create, or shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied. Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.