Summer Nature Educator
Wild Bear Nature Center
Summer Nature Educator 2023
Our mission is to inspire a life-long connection to nature and community through creative exploration of the outdoors.
Wild Bear Nature Center is seeking seasonal Nature Educators to join our education team and help lead our children’s 2023 Nature Camp programs.
This individual must have at least 600 hours of experience delivering well planned full-day educational programs for children. We are seeking creative, child centered educators who love nature and are looking to join a positive, hardworking environment. The variety of our offered programs are a great mix of learning, creativity, and nature exploration all held outdoors wherever and whenever possible! Wild Bear’s education team develops the theme and then staff create a structure of the day which encompasses science, music, games, story, crafts and hands-on outdoor exploration!
See below requirements which apply directly to these programs.
● Plan and implement creative hands-on full day nature programs
● Orient into Wild Bear’s materials, programs, policies, philosophy when working with children
● Work with our education team to plan fun and hands-on nature programs for school-age children
● Take pride in diligently organizing and maintaining Wild Bear’s education materials
● Integrate new ideas into Wild Bear’s existing programs and materials
● Ensure that all children are safe and accounted for at all times
● Drive a 15-passenger van to outlying areas such as Mud Lake for exploration opportunities
● Create a fun and engaging plan each day and adhere to a schedule but be flexible in response to children and nature.
● Effectively incorporate interns into a support role building their capacity to lead activities through the summer - or something along those lines.
● Communicate with education team about plans, support needed, and general check ins
Positions Available for:
1. Early childhood educators: ages 3-6: Educators who understand the value of magic and mystery, creative implementation for deepening a love of nature.
2. School-age educators: 7-9: Educators who are project oriented, creatively engaging children in hands-on learning about their backyard discoveries.
3. Tweens and teens, 10+: Educators who use creativity to meaningfully deliver higher level and adventure based learning to natural science concepts which are applicable to their daily lives and interests.
*Please include your preference and what makes you a great candidate for that age group in your cover letter.
We are in support of candidates with Waldorf, creative and non-traditional learning model mindsets and experience.
Tentative Schedule: (subject to change)
Approximately 20-38 hrs/week for 10 week camp season, plus one week of training
2-4 Full Days a week: Monday-Thursday 7:45am-4:15pm
Planning Fridays: 9am-12pm
Job Qualification Requirements:
● Completed (or in progress) degree in the field of education, environmental studies, natural science or related field and/or 2-3 years and/or 600 hours of experience in leading groups of school-age children in nature.
● Clear background check from the Colorado Department of Human Services and the
● Federal Bureau of Investigations.
● Three positive professional references
● Experience and/or education in innovative nature education program full day planning
● First Aid/CPR Certified
Nature Educator Profile:
● Child focused in teaching techniques
● Has skills and experience in nontraditional, experiential, and creative teaching models and programs
● Natural History knowledge, skills, interest, and experience
● Creativity and art focus for program planning and implementation
● Adaptive problem solving and educational mindset
● Strong work ethic
● Ability to self-start and work as a member of a team
● Strong presentation skills
● Fun, creative, and project oriented
● Thinks outside the box
● People with creative strengths, a sense of humor, a kind and gentle demeanor, who enjoy spending time with children, and love the outdoors!
Compensation: $130/day with room for growth.
Send a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to Nature Education Director,
Michelle Witte, [email protected]
No phone calls please. www.wildbear.org
Note on hiring timeline: We will be reviewing applications in January and reaching out to qualified applicants at the end of January 2023 into February 2023 for interviews.