Outdoor Recreation Coordinator
Mountain Recreation Outdoor Programs offer a fun, exciting environment to our participants and staff alike; one that fosters opportunities for expanding our outdoor knowledge, learning new skills, and enjoying the outdoors! Applicants must be enthusiastic and love working outdoors with children, enjoy being part of a team-focused environment, and have strong communication and group management skills.
We're looking for a talented individual to help support our Outdoor Recreation department and its operations, as well as oversee various programs such as camping, mountain biking, rock climbing, paddle sports, hiking, fly-fishing, and backpacking. The coordinators will assist the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor to coordinate and supervise recreation programs in their assigned area(s), providing high quality recreation opportunities for the community in partnership with SOS Outreach.
You are welcome at Mountain Rec for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what keeps you active. Recreation is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our organization, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So, bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way we PLAY.
Schedule: Full Time; Year Round
Salary: $47,636 - $50,000; Exempt
Location: Edwards, Eagle County, Co
Benefits: Comprehensive and low cost/no cost medical, dental, and vision insurance. Up to 10% retirement match after one year of service. Paid time off and medical leave. For more information on benefits, check out our website at mountainrec.org/benefits-overview
For more information about this position please contact Megan Carter at [email protected] or call 970-688-7333.
General Statement of Duties: Assist the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor to coordinate and supervise recreation programs in assigned area, providing high quality recreation opportunities for the community in partnership with SOS Outreach.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, coordinates, supervises, and conducts specialized recreational activities in outdoor recreation to achieve departmental and community service goals as assigned.
- Demonstrate experience in outdoor recreation activities such as: camping, mountain biking, rock climbing, paddle sports, hiking, fly-fishing, and backpacking.
- Develops new programs and services that are consistent with District and SOS Outreach mission and goals and meet community needs and interests.
- Assists with hiring, training, and scheduling part-time staff; assists with reviews and evaluations to maximize program and customer service quality and staff productivity.
- Arrange times, locations, speakers, instructors, officials, and other participants as necessary for all recreation programs.
- Inspect program spaces and equipment as needed to ensure a safe and positive experience for participants and spectators.
- Ensure logistical support for all programs to include: guide scheduling/briefings, staff support, program supply purchasing, and other duties as assigned by the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor.
- Maintains and cares for program facilities, equipment and supplies.
- Seeks out and obtains community input on assigned programs, measuring level of interest
- Trains and schedules all part-time staff, with teamwork and efficiency as primary goals; reviews and evaluates programming to maximize program impact, customer service quality, and staff productivity.
- Supervises the operations and logistics of the Outdoor Gear Library by providing training for part-time library staff and volunteers. Assists Outdoor Recreation Supervisor with the procurement and maintenance of Outdoor Gear Library equipment.
- Works collaboratively with the Facility Supervisors to coordinate use of program area facilities in accordance with priorities and/or regulations, files necessary permits, and schedules use of program space.
- Provides good public relations for the District by notifying class participants and instructors of class cancellations, program changes, added classes, processing refunds, receiving and replying to all correspondence.
- Develops program information and inputs data for registration as needed.
- Utilize systems and processes to ensure accurate inventory of program equipment and equipment condition.
- Provides for the safety of participants and staff, including implementing risk management practices.
- Provide Emergency Support and Risk Management to programs in the field
- Guide Supervision and management including pre and post-trip debriefs
- Fill in as a field guide as needed
- Acts as a mandatory reporter and complies with mandatory reporting guidelines.
- Instructs various recreational classes as needed or directed by Mountain Recreation and in partnership with SOS Outreach. Programs may include but are not limited to: summer camp programs, belay clinics, community climbing nights, overnight programs, etc.
- Responsible for participating in Forward Together. A diversity, equity, and inclusion initiative to ensure our entire community feels welcome in any Mountain Rec facility, program, or activity. Create programs and experiences for our diverse community by removing barriers and obstacles so everyone in our community can live a healthy and happy life.
- Provide exemplary customer service to internal and external guests
- Work with other organizations not limited to: Recreation Departments, School Districts, Towns, Counties, Special Districts, Non-Profits, and Sport Associations.
- Instructs various recreational classes as needed or directed by Mountain Recreation and in partnership with SOS Outreach.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Considerable knowledge of:
- Recreation program theory, development, practices, implementation, and evaluation
- Age and activity appropriate program planning
- Outdoor recreation program risk management
- Facilities and equipment maintenance required in assigned program area
- Rock climbing, hiking, wilderness travel, and team building experience (Preferably in the Rocky Mountain Region).
- Knowledge of Leave No Trace Practices.
Skills and ability:
- Demonstrate strong organizational, leadership, planning and problem-solving skills
- Effectively communicate in both verbal and written form
- Exercise independent initiative, judgment, and decision making
- Effectively supervise and motivate staff
- Work well with a wide variety of people including children, youth, and adults
- Actively participate in activities provided by program area
- Establish and maintain positive, respectful, and cooperative relationships with all program contacts
- Lift, restrain, and run after participants
- Lift equipment and supplies
- Work cooperatively with others and create positive relationships with other staff and the public
- Proficient in the use of office equipment including computers
- Program evaluation methods and implementation
- Ability to: Backpacking trips average 5 – 8 miles per day at altitudes between 8,200’ – 13,000’ in varied weather. Must be able to carry 70lbs. pack. Day hiking involves 2-4 miles and up to 2,000’ elevation gains. Must be able to carry 30lbs. guide pack.
Education and Experience:
- Must be 21 years of age
- Two years of college with an emphasis in related field; AND
- Two years of progressive work experience in closely related recreation position; OR
- Any satisfactory combination of experience and education which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the above-described duties.
- Pass a federal background check, possess a valid driver’s license, can operate a van and trailer combination, and pass a Motor Vehicle check.
- Current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or WEMT and CPR, or the ability to obtain these certifications prior to beginning employment. Preference will be given to candidates with an active WFR certification.
- Prior experience working with youth and youth overnight outdoor adventure programs.
- Spanish language proficiency (preferred).
Additional Application Instructions
Please fill out your application at the provided link along with your resume, cover letter, and 3 reliable references.