eeCorps Nature Preschool Assistant Teacher (Thorne Nature Experience)
Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and EE providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. eeCorps members provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement all across the country.
About Thorne Nature Experience: This position will be based at Thorne Nature Experience in Boulder, CO. Thorne is a non-profit organization that is committed to building Earth stewardship by connecting youth to nature through joyful, hands-on, place-based environmental education experiences. Thorne believes in ensuring access for all youth to discover, explore, and connect to the natural world. Founded in 1954, Thorne has a rich history and has reached more than 250,000 children and adults through its four programs: In-School, Summer Camp, Preschool and Field Trip.
Service Position Summary: The eeCorps member will collaborate with teachers to support the growth and well-being of the children in the nature preschool program through daily mentorship and program support.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities): The eeCorps member will engage with Thorne to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps and Thorne’s goals. These duties include:
- Attend all eeCorps/AmeriCorps trainings, meetings, and orientations
- Complete all eeCorps National Days of Service projects as required
- Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines
- Some local and out of town travel required throughout Boulder County; occasional statewide travel possible
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
- Attend Thorne staff meetings, trainings, professional development, special events and outreach activities
Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual Demands:
- Experience relating to and communicating with diverse audiences, especially Latinx participants and families; Bilingual (Spanish and English) a plus
- Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- High School Diploma or GED required; college graduate preferred
- Ability to pass criminal background check (required)
- Reliable transportation & proof of auto insurance
- Reliable outdoor clothing for variable weather conditions including freezing temperatures (Thorne can help obtain needed items and offers pro-deal opportunities for members)
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
Term of Service - Time Commitment: This is a Full-time Time (FT) national and community service position requiring a minimum completion of 1,700 hours during the term (approximately 37-40 hours/week). The position begins August 15, 2022 and ends August 4, 2023. Flexible hours are required, including occasional evening and weekend commitments. Member may be required to serve on Days of Service that take place on certain national holidays throughout the year.
Training and Support Provided: eeCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable, approved training and professional development. Members will be supervised and supported by the Site Coordinator and Lead Teacher at Thorne Nature Preschool in Boulder, and Lorene Wapotich, Thorne Nature Preschool Manager, as well as Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator. The 2022-23 cohort of eeCorps members serving throughout the region will act as additional resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at Thorne Nature Preschool’s site at East Boulder Community Center (5660 Sioux Dr., Boulder, CO 80303) and will involve service at other locations in Boulder County. Position is direct service and will involve frequent days of service in different environments (outdoors and/or in a community building).
- A living allowance of $16,502 distributed biweekly over the term dates. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- Health insurance
- Childcare assistance, if eligible
- An education award of $6,495 upon successful completion of term of service.
- It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings
Diversity and Equal Opportunity:
Thorne Nature Experience is an equal opportunity organization. Thorne Nature Experience does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender variance or expression, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. This Anti-Discrimination Policy applies to, but is not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of Board Members, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) recognizes the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education. CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator, at [email protected]. Please include “AmeriCorps Thorne Nature Preschool Assistant Application” in the subject line. Please also attach a list of three (3) references, and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length.
*Note: Position will be filled pending grant award.