Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. AmeriCorps members serving with the eeCorps provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement all across the country.
Service Site Overview: This position will be located at We Don’t Waste in Denver, CO. We Don’t Waste is a Denver-based nonprofit organization that rescues food that would have been wasted and redistributes that food to people experiencing food insecurity. Their mission is to increase food access and protect the planet by rescuing and repurposing food, while educating and advocating to decrease food waste and food insecurity.
Service Position Summary: This position will serve closely with the We Don’t Waste Programs & Education Manager to grow and implement our Environmental Education Program. The Environmental Educator will develop a curriculum and lesson plans focused on food systems, the environmental impacts of food waste, and environmental justice. This position will also assist with the planning, coordination, and execution of food waste audits at schools. The service member will also help develop evaluation tools to assess the impact of our program and create opportunities for follow up.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities)
eeCorps members engage with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps’ and We Don’t Waste’s goals. These duties include:
- Develop an environmental education curriculum and evaluation tools
- Plan and conduct educational programs for K-12 students
- School outreach (including administrators, teachers, and parents)
- Present educational materials at schools and after school programs
- Execute food waste audits in school cafeterias
- Distribute educational information at We Don’t Waste Mobile Food Markets
- Track progress and collect evaluation data for the program’s performance measures
- Attend all eeCorps/AmeriCorps orientations, meetings, and trainings
- Complete any eeCorps required National Day of Service projects
- Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines
- Some local travel required and occasional statewide travel possible
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
- Communicate and coordinate with school contacts
- Conduct post lesson surveys with students and assess results
- Report findings from food waste audits
- Post food waste audit follow up
- Assist with Mobile Food Markets
Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual Demands:
- Ability to work in outdoor setting in various weather conditions for up to 4 hours
- Able to carry/lift 25 pounds- including loading and unloading the van with supplies for food waste audits and Mobile Food Markets, such as tables, tents, and compost bins
- Commitment to equity in education
- People person willing to go out into schools and communities and engage
- Experience in either education or the nonprofit sector preferred
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Career goals oriented towards the mission of We Don’t Waste
- Background in environmental work or some environmental education
- Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- High school diploma or GED required
- Ability to pass criminal history checks required
- Reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance required
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
Term of Service:
This is a half-time national and community service position requiring a minimum of 900 hours during the term of service (approximately 20 hours/week). The position begins August 15, 2022 and ends July 28, 2023. Flexible hours are required, including occasional evening and weekend commitments. Member may be required to serve on Days of Service that take place on certain national holidays throughout the year.
Training and Support Provided: eeCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable approved training and professional development. Members will be supervised and supported by Julia Lennon, Programs & Education Manager, as well as by Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator. The 2022-23 cohort of eeCorps members serving throughout the region will act as additional resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at We Don’t Waste, 5971 Broadway, Denver, CO 80209. We have Mobile Food Markets at various locations in the Denver Metro area, and this position will include visits to schools in the greater Denver area.
- A living allowance of $8,250 distributed biweekly over the term dates. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- An education award of $3,247.50 upon successful completion of term of service.
- It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings, days of service, and program sites.
- Non-tangible benefits include extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
- Ability to participate in regional EE leadership councils; option to obtain CAEE’s nationally-recognized Professional Environmental Educator Certification.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity: To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at We Don’t Waste do not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity and expression, sex, sexual orientation, age, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, disability, political beliefs, marital status, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, donors, recipients, vendors, and clients.
We Don’t Waste will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
Employees with questions or concerns about discrimination in the workplace are encouraged to bring these issues to the attention of their supervisor. Employees can raise concerns and make reports without fear of reprisal. Anyone found to be engaging in unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, including termination of employment.
The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) recognizes the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education. CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator, at [email protected]. Please include “AmeriCorps We Don’t Waste Environmental Educator Application” in the subject line. Please also attach a list of three (3) references, and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length.
*Note: Position will be filled pending grant award.