The Lead Cook is a full-time position that will work closely with the Chef and occasionally with the Operations Manager to ensure that all clients are fed healthy and nutritious meals while maintaining the highest level of safety and sanitation. From May through September the Lead Cook will be expected to help train and supervise seasonal part time Kitchen Assistants. Creativity, ability to follow standard operating procedures, and the capability of asking questions and seeking solutions is a must. Benefits such as health insurance, housing, and paid time off are included with the Lead Cook role.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare, serve, and clean up meal service for groups of 20-200; clients may include: students, campers, chaperones, adult group retreats, as well as donors, board members, and staff; depending on size or type of programming, the position may work independently or as a team;
- Ensure a high level of health and safety, cleanliness, and food hygiene and ensure that safe working practices are followed; hold other staff members accountable for these practices;
- Learn & execute established work practices, methods, and procedures
- Assist Chef to train seasonal staff;
- Ensure food storage areas accessible to staff are maintained with adequate and quality inventory;
- Possess an attention to detail and an ability to be flexible and adaptable in terms of a regularly evolving program schedule;
- During high volume Adventure Programs, the position may be required to assist in off-site facility or camping-based food packing and preparation roles;
- Adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures.
- Undertake relevant training and development activities and respond positively to new and alternative systems;
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the position;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- At least 2 years of experience working in food service;
- Passion for working with food and providing balanced, nutritional, and delicious meals;
- Minimum 16 years of age;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
- Training or certification in food safety;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
- $18 per hour