River Guide & Educator
Non-exempt, Seasonal Position: Full-time OR part-time (early April through October; may be flexible with start/end date on a case-by-case basis)
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Compensation: River Guide & Educator - $15 - $17 per hour; River Guide & Educator (Trip Leader) - $18 - $19 per hour
The river education program at CCA is multi-faceted and educators must possess a diverse skill set. All River Educators & Guides are responsible for planning and executing all aspects of our river education programs and will function as raft guides and outdoor instructors. The Trip Leader position has the additional responsibility of trip oversight and staff management.
Educational trips are led on the Ruby-Horsethief section of the Colorado River, and various sections of the Gunnison River. Educators are in the field from 1-3 days at a time and must be comfortable providing meaningful learning experiences for youth, as well as high-end adult adventures.
When not actively leading trips, river educators are responsible for support work which includes food shopping, trip preparation and clean-up, and equipment upkeep. They also assist in curriculum development.
The ideal candidate is professional, personable, proactive, enthusiastic, and dependable. They possess extensive physical and mental stamina. They can successfully maneuver a raft, read river currents, prepare meals, while teaching and entertaining enthusiastically in varied environments for many days in succession. The candidate must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive in the tri-county area and must be able to pass a background check.
Ideal candidates possess:
● Colorado Raft guide qualifications
● Undergraduate degree in related field preferred
● Previous experience working with youth, outdoor/environmental education and teaching preferred
● Proficient, conservative, and safe boat handling skills in paddle rafts and/or oar rafts
● Familiarity with the Colorado & Gunnison Rivers
● Current Advanced First aid and CPR certification
● Clean driving record and valid driver's license
● Capacity for sustained physical activity, including but not limited to rowing, paddling, hiking, loading and unloading gear, and swimming in swift current
Additional qualifications for Trip Leader position includes:
• Trip Leader credentials in good standing
• Leadership and staff management experience is preferred
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and list of three references (name, email, phone) to [email protected] by February 6, 2022. In your email, please indicate your:
• Seasonal availability
• Full-time or part-time availability
• Preference for the Trip Leader position