The Crossover Counselor is responsible for teaching the wide variety of activities offered at KSS. The Crossover Counselor position is the core of KSS summer programming. Crossover Counselors will move between all Day Camp and Overnight Discovery Camp programs. Ideal Crossover Counselors are flexible and excited to move to different programs each week to support all KSS Summer Camp Programming. Each Crossover Counselor has a rotating weekly schedule to ensure all programs are staffed appropriately. They are also responsible for guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Main areas of focus:
- 80% Teaching
- 20% Support staff duties (e.g. facilitation of meals, setup/clean up, transportation, student free time).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee up to 13 children each day and actively interact with an engage children during KSS Day and Overnight programs;
- Plan, prepare, and teach age appropriate activities;
- Oversee up to 13 campers on one overnight wilderness camping trip per week and challenge backcountry hike when working Discovery Overnight programs;
- Oversee and participate in Adventure Day experiences led by professional contractors;
- Oversee and maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
- Provide support for overnight summer programs a minimum of 2 nights per week when working day camp programs;
- During overnight shifts, oversee up to 16 campers in a dormitory or tent;
- Actively interact with and engage children during KSS programs;
- Oversee and support a wide variety of KSS programs and activities, which includes but is not limited to: day program overnights, camper choice activities/freeplay, evening programming, special events, the end of season celebration, etc.;
- Provide an electronics-aware experience for all children;
- Set up before children arrive and clean up after children depart from KSS campus;
- Maintain storage of all KSS equipment, including teaching materials, gear, toys, etc.;
- Attend all staff meetings as assigned;
- Gather and submit pictures and videos to reflect the experience children have during KSS programs;
- Attend weekly program family slideshow events;
- Abide by and uphold the policies and procedures set forth by KSS;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
- Candidates will be asked to provide verification of 460 hours of experience working with school-age children;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver's license;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
Preferred Skill Sets:
- Ability to communicate verbally and teach in Spanish.
- Proficiency with Google Drive and CampSite camp management software.
- Candidates age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience will be required to participate in and pass Van Driver Training, and they will be required to drive a 15-passenger van.
$424.00 per week