Summer Day Camp Naturalist
General Job Description
Summer camp naturalists work as a team during one week of training and ten weeks of outdoor-based day camp to care for and teach children ages 5-11 years old. Day Camp sessions run Monday through Friday, 8-5 except when there is an overnight scheduled (this will be on Thursdays for our oldest group of kids). Under the direction of the Camp and Family Programs Manager you will be responsible for managing the safety and the schedule of the kids in your care along with other Summer Day Camp Staff. Each staff is responsible for helping to plan and lead activities, games, and field trips according to the weekly themes and for delivering high-quality, science-based environmental education in an inspiring and professional manner. Summer Camp Naturalists may assist with other programming on occasion and are responsible for assisting in daily site maintenance. Compensation is $150 per day. Additional rate will be paid for Overnight responsibilities. Yampatika summer camp is based out of Legacy Ranch in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the care of up to 12 kids along with a fellow summer staff member.
- Confidence in leading many different types of programming for school age children including but not limited to hikes, games, arts and crafts, inquiry-based activities, nature play, investigations, and other educational activities.
- Safely transporting kids in a 15-passenger van.
- Maintain friendly, professional, and engaging presence with both children and adults through proper uniform and interaction in the field and on-site
- Ensure that the safety and wellbeing is always a priority; manage children’s’ safety in outdoor settings using good supervision, judgement, and decision-making; administer and document first aid as needed.
- Work cooperatively with clear and timely communication with other staff and supervisors. Participate in weekly camp staff meetings.
- Help plan and prepare lessons and activities based on curriculum and resources provided.
- Work with other Camp Naturalists to submit prepared lessons, activities, and supply lists to the Camp Director at least 5 days in advance of a program.
- Cultivate an inclusive community that honors the different backgrounds, needs, and identities of both kids and fellow staff.
- Assist in the maintenance of supplies, safety, and cleanliness of Yampatika’s Environmental Learning Center at Legacy Ranch and communicate all repair/maintenance needs of the Ranch to the Camp Director ASAP.
- Assist or lead interpretive hikes or other community programs when not with Summer Camp.
- They are supervised by the Camp and Family Programs Manager.
- Have fun working with young people in the natural world!
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years old and able to successfully pass a background check.
- Prior experience or enthusiasm for working with children ages 5-11 years of age.
- Passion for Yampatika’s mission and desire to increase knowledge of Rocky Mountain ecology.
- Must be dependable, responsible, organized, and adaptable team player willing to accept new tasks and feedback
- Excellent communication skills in order to coordinate logistics and program needs with both the program director and other summer staff.
- Current driver’s license and safe driving record for the past 3 years.
- CPR/First Aid or ability to obtain as part of employment
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. and hike up to 5 miles on varied terrain carrying a day pack.
- Be prepared to work in an outdoor setting in all weather conditions, rain or shine.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Previous experience working at a summer camp or in the daily care of children.
- Previous experience working in outdoor education, interpretation, natural history, education, or related field.
- Wilderness First Aid or higher certification