Full-time, Exempt: 40 hours/week
Location: Grand Junction, Delta, or Montrose, Colorado
Compensation: $45,000 – $52,000 annually; benefits include generous time-off, employer-covered health insurance, and retirement benefits
Colorado Canyons Association (CCA) is a 10-year-old nonprofit organization fostering community stewardship, education and awareness of our National Conservation Lands with a focus on Dominguez-Escalante, Gunnison Gorge and McInnis Canyons National Conservation Areas (NCAs) in western Colorado. In partnership with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), CCA connects thousands of students and families to their public lands through outdoor education programs, community hikes and events, and stewardship projects each year.
1) Curriculum Development & Implementation: Works with school districts, partners and BLM to develop and update curricula that meet established standards and follow education bestpractices in design and implementation for CCA programs.
• Responsible for writing curricula that are aligned with state standards and will be implemented using on-the-ground best practices.
o Identify and achieve curriculum development goals with flagship educational programs and other opportunistic programs.
• Responsible for maintaining awareness of and skills around educational best practices, to the point of being able to train staff and volunteers as needed to implement programs.
• Responsible for working directly with BLM and other partners to design curricula that meet partner content and timing needs.
o Oversee the development of new learning tools for students and adults, including digital content.
o Explore the creation of educational programs for tribal members to connect them to ancestral lands in the NCAs.
o Explore the creation of educational programs for veterans to connect them to the health and wellness benefits of spending time in the NCAs.
2) Staff and Program Management and Development: Works with the Executive Director and Operations Director to manage all education staff and programs.
• Responsible for planning and budgeting for educational programs.
o Evaluate program outcomes and develop metrics on program outputs.
• Responsible for educational programing and planning for the development of Catalpa Camp.
• Responsible for hiring, training and evaluating staff.
• Responsible for maintaining required licenses, registrations, permits and certifications for all educational programs.
• Responsible for the enhancement of CCA’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
• Responsible for building and maintaining partner relationships with the three local school districts, partner organizations and BLM staff.
• Responsible for researching and writing grants that enhance the quality of education programs.
3) Additional Responsibilities
• Supervise and collaborate with organization staff and serve as a member of the Leadership Team.
• Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues as requested by the Executive Director. • Engage in public relations efforts around CCA educational programs.
• Complete weekly and monthly CCA administrative tasks.
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• B.A. or B.S. in a related field.
• Five to ten years of experience in the educational field. Time in a school district setting is especially desirable.
• Outdoor educational experience with students and/or adults.
• Experience with curriculum and program development.
• Supervisory experience is helpful but not required.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to convey CCA messages across a range of audiences.
• Strong leadership skills with an ability to connect and communicate with a wide range of communities and individuals.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to manage time, workload, and stress in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be able to pass a background check.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and list of three reference (name, email, and phone) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 PM on Friday, October 22nd. Please, no phone calls.