Nature Center Specialist
$17.00 - $20.00 Hourly
Department of Parks, Golf & Hospitality
Purpose is to assist Nature Center Director & Assistant Director in coordinating functions, updating displays, and creating a positive customer experience to ensure efficient operation of Majestic View Nature Center.
*This is a part-time position and will not exceed 20/hours per week.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee center operations during public hours as an interpretive ambassador to provide an enjoyable visitor experience.
- Assess engagement with current displays and assist in projects to update displays and exhibits.
- Monitor safety, security and cleanliness of center and surrounding site, bringing issues to the attention of the Director or appropriate City staff.
- Coordinate and assist classroom and building preparation, which may include custodial and maintenance duties.
- Assist with animal husbandry for animal ambassadors, such as changing tank water or creating enrichment.
- Assist in marketing meetings, grant writing, year-end reporting and various other all-staff projects.
- Assist in recruiting, training and scheduling of volunteers, including but limited to delivering flyers and/or attending event booths.
- Coordinate with appropriate City personnel and other agencies to accomplish center goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess and be able to share working knowledge of environmental interpretation.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills must be shared with visitors, co-sponsors, volunteers and staff members.
- Ability to effectively coach and train people of various volunteer ages, including teens.
- Initiative to recognize, recommend and manage projects or programs that meet the Nature Center’s mission.
- Ability to produce copy for promotional or educational materials.
- Ability to perform manual duties associated with the programs and facility; arranging tables, chairs and equipment, leading outdoor activities, refilling fountain, etc.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as assigned, which can include occasional evenings or weekends.
Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to education, environmental science, recreation, leadership; or equivalent education and experience. Experience working or volunteering in a leadership role with youth and adults if preferred.
- Vision Mission Values
We Dream Big and Deliver
We are dedicated to delivering superior services to enhance the lives of everyone in our community.
Innovation: We excel in creativity, flexibility and the use of best practices while valuing diverse backgrounds, ideas and perspectives.
Passion: We are a high performing, inclusive team inspiring each other to pursue excellence.
Opportunity: We value our diversity, embrace possibilities, face challenges, persevere and take action to deliver quality results