Department: Finance and Administration
Employment Class: Full-Time, Regular
Pay Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $47,000 – $51,000 per year
Expected Hours: Minimum 40 hours/week
Dates of Employment/Start Date: ASAP, April/May 2021
Reports To: HR and Equity Manager
Housing Available: No
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary
The Recruitment Coordinator is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the HR and Equity Manager and Director of Finance and Admin in supporting various Human Resources functions. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: recruiting; onboarding; training; diversity, equity, and inclusion; safety; policy implementation; and employment law compliance. The most successful candidate will be adept at managing high volumes of data confidentially and applying excellent interpersonal skills to a broad audience. Additionally, we are seeking a problem-solver and someone who approaches HR through a ‘can-do’ lens.
Three key strengths we seek in the ideal candidate are:
- Impeccable and efficient attention to detail;
- Exceptional communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- A strong understanding of Human Resources principles and practices.
Keystone Science School invites candidates to apply who are energetic, enthusiastic, smart, hard-working, self-directed, dedicated, and fun. Our tagline, Science. Adventure. Fun! summarizes what we seek in our employees: passionate about our work, willing to seek adventure and take risks to improve KSS, and able to laugh along the way. We work hard so we can play hard!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Main areas of focus in this position are:
- 70% Employee Recruitment
- 20% Onboarding and Training
- 10% General Human Resources Support
- Drive aspects of the recruitment process for seasonal positions, including developing and executing a strong recruiting strategy, encouraging diversity, and driving our employee brand in the talent marketplace;
- Support hiring managers with applicant management in the recruitment process, including budget related to this effort;
- Develop tools and systems that streamline the recruitment process;
- Gather statistics and analyze trends on recruiting functions to assist with strategy;
- Prepare job postings to various recruiting resources and expand opportunities for marketing open positions;
- Conduct applicant screenings, including phone interviews and reference checks;
- Create employment term agreements for new seasonal and year-round employees.
Onboarding, Offboarding, and Training
- Onboard new employees including collecting all necessary paperwork and running background checks;
- In partnership with the Executive Director, assist with management of paperwork for members of the Board of Directors to ensure they are background checked annually and that all relevant policy paperwork is collected and reviewed;
- Support off-board process when employees separate employment;
- Maintain employee records in an electronic format and in accordance with applicable laws.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Incorporate DEI best practices into employee recruitment, training, and ongoing management;
- Remain appraised of the protocols and practices of DEI to inform KSS of revisions, additions, and implementation needed to be an organization that is focused on diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels.
General Human Resources Support
- Assist Human Resources and Administrative Director with annual Employee Handbook updates, and other formal documents;
- Assist with the development and implementation of staff appreciation events and efforts;
- Support special projects as necessary.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- An attention to detail specific to writing reports, professional correspondence, and procedure manuals as well as inputting payroll data to ensure employees are paid accordingly and timely;
- A strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- The motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- The ability to multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Strong communication skills in both writing and organization;
- The ability to effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- The ability and desire to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- A level of professionalism to maintain the integrity of confidential information included in hiring processes, payroll, and other human resources-related issues or projects.
In addition to the above required talents, our ideal candidate will have these preferred skillsets:
- Computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), HRIS systems, and QuickBooks;
- Comprehension of the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form.
No travel requirements.
Housing is not offered for this position.
Our required education, experience, and certifications
- Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) from a four-year college or university;
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in the Human Resource environment;
- Proven understanding of DEI work at an organizational level (proof of trainings or certificates in DEI preferred);
- Current First Aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands of this position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
Our work environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with their teammates and children. Staff will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works outside and drives vehicles in various weather conditions.
Salary range is $47,000 – $51,000 per year depending on experience, plus a generous benefits package including:
- 75% employer-paid medical and dental premiums for the employee and dependents;
- 100% employer-paid short- and long-term disability, $50,000 life insurance policy with matching AD&D benefit;
- Up to 120 paid PTO hours, 96 paid sick hours, and 80 paid holiday hours, pro-rated based on hours worked;
- 401K retirement savings plan with a 3% employer match contribution;
- Discounts for family members on KSS programs, plus access to outdoor industry pro deals and a discounted ski pass.
Ready to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Please submit the online Employment Application found at KeystoneScienceSchool.org/Employment. All applications require a cover letter, resume, and 3 references. In your cover letter, please address your philosophy of education, and describe how your previous experiences have prepared you for this position. Positions are open until filled. For more information, please contact the Human Resources department at HR@KeystoneScienceSchool.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Keystone Science School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.