Summer Camp Counselor - 2021 Outdoor Day Camps
Bluff Lake Nature Center
11233 MLK Jr. Blvd
Denver, CO 80238
With the exception of some online training during the first week, this position will take place entirely in person. COVID-19 precautions will be based on the most up-to-date recommendations from the CDC, CDPHE, and city and state regulations, but are likely to include small groups, social distancing, daily symptom checks, wearing masks, and sanitizing all tables and equipment. We have every intention of holding camp as scheduled, and will keep you informed if any delays, changes, or cancellations are anticipated.
Dates and Times:
- June 1–July 2 and July 12–August 20, 2021 (5 weeks, off July 5-9th, then 6 more weeks)
- Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 3:30pm
- Additional pre/post camp hours once or twice per week from 7-8:30am or 3:30-5pm
- Total hours: 35-40 per week
- Please let us know during the application process if there are dates you cannot work
- In-person training and lesson preparation June 1- 4
- Weekly day camps each week afterward, with new campers each week
- Independently supervise 4-8 campers (ages 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, or 11-12) all day, sometimes also working with a “Junior Counselor” (ages 13-18)
- We will provide you with instructions for the games, lessons, activities, and crafts, but you will also have the option to develop your own if you’d like
- Eat snack and lunch with campers (everyone brings their food and water from home)
- Provide basic first aid (scrapes, stings) and carry emergency medication (inhalers, epipens). We will provide training for both of these.
- Take photos of campers during the day and upload them to a shared drive
- Be prepared for full days of being outdoors, often in hot weather and in some areas with limited shade. Camp will not be cancelled if it rains, but we will move under the roofs of outdoor structures.
- Be prepared for physical activities such as hiking (up to 2 miles), wading in Sand Creek (the creek bed is rocky and can be slippery), carrying supplies with you in a backpack all day, filling and moving water jugs, and helping set up tables, chairs, and tents
- Work closely and cooperate with other camp staff and campers’ parents
During the application process, we will need you to estimate your total previous hours of paid or volunteer experience caring for 4 or more children at once (ages 4-18, who are not related to you). We will also need you to estimate how many of those hours were obtained since you turned 18. Although we consider all previous childcare experience to be valuable regardless of number of children and age, these specific estimates are required by the state for licensing purposes. If you are hired, you will be required to contact your previous supervisors to obtain letters confirming your hours (these letters are not required until after you are actually hired).
- At least 18 years old
- At least 3 months (460 hours) of work or volunteer experience caring for 4 or more children ages 4-18 at once
- Patient, responsible, respectful of nature, and a good role model at all times
- Able to engage children with enthusiasm and ensure their safety
- Able to provide your own housing and transportation to and from the site each day
- Must agree to fingerprinting and background check if you are hired. Not eligible for hire if ever convicted of child abuse, a crime of violence, unlawful sexual behavior, a drug-related felony (past 5 years), or a pattern of misdemeanors (past 10 years). Other convictions do not disqualify you, but must be reported to the State Department.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 21 years old
- Additional hours of work or volunteer experience caring for 4 or more children ages 4-18 at once
- Experience working or volunteering outdoors (especially in environmental education)
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to remain calm when unexpected situations arise
- Self-starting, and quickly able find ways to make yourself helpful when working as part of a team
- Confident and capable when asked to work independently
- Strong oral communication skills
$15-16 per hour based on experience and anticipated level of responsibility
How to Apply:
Click here to upload your resume and complete the application form. After we review your application, we will email you about your status. Applicants who are still being considered will be invited to schedule a 30-minute remote interview with our Summer Camp Director.
If you have any questions about the position or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.