Youth Education Field Instructor
- Facilitate a safe, positive, cooperative, and fun group environment with youth ages K-12
- Create daily lesson plans as needed and lead activities in the following topics: teambuilding, earth science, indoor and outdoor climbing, outdoor discovery, natural/environmental science, and hiking and snowshoeing.
- Meet & greet small and large groups of students with chaperones.
- Participate in the safety and well-being of youth participants on multi-day educational courses and classes.
- Understand and follow all YEP risk management and safety procedures.
- Instruct and coach students in climbing concepts including belaying, knot tying, rappelling, back-up systems, equipment use and technique.
- Assist with set up and break down of technical rock climbing systems as needed.
- Prepare, clean-up and inventory equipment and materials daily as needed.
- General admin duties as needed.
- Provide direction to YEP volunteers and interns.
- Experience teaching environmental education and/or adventure education.
- Institutional and/or personal rock climbing experience.
- Strong communication skills-- able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Sense of humor, ability to relate to children and adults of all ages and backgrounds.
- Submit a criminal background check.
- Able to carry loads up to 40 pounds.
- First Aid and CPR.
- Ability to provide personal transportation to and from the American Mountaineering Center in Golden each day.
- Wilderness First Aid / Wilderness First Responder.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the area of natural science, outdoor recreation/education or related field.
- Experience leading overnight trips.
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor certification.
Hours and expectations:
- Position is seasonal, part-time. 5-30 hours per week depending on availability and program need.
- Typical work day is 6 hours. Classes vary from 4- 8 hours/day.
- Occasional overnight trips.
- Pay is $13-14.50 per hour DOE.
- Access to Pro-deals
- For any new curriculum prep - maximum of 2 hours of training and 1 hour of personal prep will be paid.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume and three references via email to email@example.com. Immediate hire, January 21, 2020 start date, or as soon as possible.