Chief Financial Officer
Title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Position Reports To: President/CEO
Direct Reports: Accounting Clerk
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in 2022.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can't make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren't just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt Minimum 40-45 hours per week
Salary/Hourly Rate: $105-$115k + Full Benefits
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of Finance and Accounting functions of Butterfly Pavilion
- Maintain accurate and timely reporting of financial condition and results for both external and internal use.
- Provide interpretation of financial results for Senior Leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Establish and ensure compliance with internal controls which safeguard the assets of Butterfly Pavilion and contribute to accurate reporting
- Supervise the daily operation of the accounting department, including revenue accounting, accounts payable, payroll , benefit payments, and cash flow management
- Manage annual operating and capital budget processes and report monthly on the operating budget variances
- Develop and maintain written accounting policies and procedures
- Manage external audits
- Provide financial information and reports as needed for Grant applications and reports
- Manage and maintain all daily POS reconciliations
- Prepare and file monthly state, local, and city, sales and use tax
- Develop recommendations to strategically advance financial performance and new business opportunities
- Support strong relationship with Executive & Senior Leadership team as to identify needs, provide financial guidance and seek full range of business solutions
- Analyze, interpret, and communicate financial operations/campaign performance to provide information, guidance to CEO, Finance Committee, and BOD.
- Decision making
- Department knowledge
- Strategic thinking
- Financial/fiscal management
- Business Acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Ethical conduct
- 8+ years' experience in a Financial Leadership position
- CPA and MBA or equivalent training and experience
- Strong written, verbal and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and to manage multiple assignments and deadlines
- Skilled in use of a variety of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, and data base management
- Experience in developing policies and procedures and strategic plans
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to see, talk, and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://butterflies.appl
Position is open until filled.
No phone calls or drop in's please.