Part Time Exhibit Interpreter
Title: Exhibit Interpreter
Department: Programs and Interpretation
Reports to: Interpretation Manager
Direct Reports to: Interpretation Manager
FLSA Status: Non- Exempt, Part-time
Hourly Rate: $13.00/hour
- Interacting with Butterfly Pavilion guests as they visit all of our exhibits.
- Facilitating play-based learning and providing educational information to guests of all ages.
- Using live animals to demonstrate science-based concepts to guests.
- Conducting daily public programming and developing curriculum.
- Creating meaningful interaction between the exhibit and guests for a deeper and more thoughtful experience and to make connections between exhibit topic and daily life.
- Working alongside interpreters, interns and volunteers to provide high quality interpretation and complete project work to enhance exhibit experiences.
- Responsible for specific exhibit expertise and dissemination of specific exhibit content as assigned.
- Attending required branch and facility meetings and stay up to date on all communications from within the organization
- Collaborating with volunteers and interns to ensure optimal guest experience
- Collaborating with Programs & Interpretation department to design, develop and implement new curricula or programs or redesign existing curricula to meet needs of diverse audiences
- Provide administrative support to Programs & Interpretation Department
Qualifications / Experience
- Pursuing or holding a degree in interpretation, education, environmental sciences, biology or related fields
- Comfortable interacting with guests of all ages
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Enthusiastic, strong sense of fun, and patient
- Organized and flexible
- Fluency in Spanish and English preferred
- 1-2 years' experience working in a non-formal education/museum/education setting
- Prior experience in a customer service-based role
- Prior experience working with individuals of different ages and abilities
- 3-4 days a week, maximum 28 hours a week. On rare occasions, you might be scheduled up to 40 hours in one week based on needs and availability.
- This person would work part-time, regularly Sundays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 8:45-5:15 and a half day Friday afternoon from 12:45-5:15 but schedules can and will change based on need.
The Butterfly Pavilion seeks a creative, energetic, tech savvy, culturally competent individual with a passion for learning about and developing curriculum and programs for visitors of Butterfly Pavilion on science, nature, and invertebrates to join our Programs & Interpretation team as a part-time Exhibit Interpreter. Butterfly Pavilion strives to provide programs that promote appreciation, understanding, and conservation of invertebrates and habitats worldwide to a diverse community, and bilingual individuals fluent in English and Spanish and/or those who have worked with children with special needs or disabilities is a plus.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
- While performing the responsibilities of the Exhibit Interpreter, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the Exhibit Interpreter will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the Educator.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
- These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions within this position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities.
- While performing the responsibilities of the Exhibit Interpreter, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://butterflies.applicantpro.com/jobs/1280636-20970.html
Position is open until filled. No phone calls or drop in's please.